Marvell Unveils Third-Generation SSD 6Gb/s SATA Controller Powered by High Performance Embedded Processor
Features Including On-Chip RAID Functionality, Enhanced ECC Engine, Improved NAND Control Logic and SATA Revision 3.1 Compliance Deliver Groundbreaking SSD Performance
Santa Clara, California
(March 14, 2012) –
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – (March 14, 2012) – Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL) today announced mass deployment of the Marvell® 88SS9187 SATA controller fueled by high performance embedded processor technology. The 88SS9187 features a 6 gigabit-per-second (Gb/s) SATA Revision 3.1 compliant host interface optimized for the fast-growing solid state drive (SSD) sector, offering many game changing benefits to the consumer, mobile and enterprise markets. A significant number of high-profile SSD manufacturers are set to deploy Marvell’s newest solution immediately, with additional partners expected to integrate 88SS9187 implementations later this year.
Marvell’s newest SSD controller boasts an open, world-class architecture that supports industry-standard, high-speed NAND Flash interface up to 200MB/s per channel. The 88SS9187 also offers a groundbreaking correction capability thanks to its high performance ECC engine with Adaptive Read and Write Scheme and on-chip RAID functionality to allow use of the latest generation of NAND Flash devices in the fast-growing SSD markets.
“We continue to drive market-leading innovation in our SATA technology products, as seen with today’s launch of the 88SS9187 SATA controller powered by high performance embedded processor technology,” said Alan Armstrong, vice president of Marketing for the Storage Business Group at Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. “The best-in-class, open architecture of the device allows SSD manufacturers to fully customize their products to meet specific customer demands and distinguish their products based on price, performance, power and functionality. Marvell is thrilled to be leading the industry with our advanced SSD acceleration technology, which is enabling our partners to take their products to the next level.”
In addition to its breakthrough performance, the 88SS9187 delivers lower costs and greater power efficiency. The device features the industry’s lowest active and stand-by power consumption rates at this performance level, meeting the requirements of even the most demanding high-growth Ultrabook computer market. Leveraging Marvell's expertise in delivering high-performance, low cost and low power silicon solutions, the 88SS9187 is bringing leading-edge SSD acceleration technology to the mainstream consumer technology market, including high-end computing devices.
Other distinguishing features of Marvell’s third-generation SATA 6 Gb/s SSD controller include:
- Supports on-chip RAID technology for the NAND device with flexible customer firmware based algorithm to optimize retiring of defective NAND block, plane, die or device.
- Supports high-speed DDR3 DRAM interface with support for up to 1 G byte memory that permits customer to implement highly performance optimized mapping algorithms.
- Maximum sequential read performance for a SATA 6G device.
- ~500MB/s of sequential write performance even at dirty drive conditions.
- Best-in-class Random Read and Write IOPS with minimum over-provisioning and minimal performance degradation.
- Marvell media materials: http://www.marvell.com/company/press_kit/
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a world leader in the development of storage, communications and consumer silicon solutions. Marvell's diverse product portfolio includes switching, transceiver, communications controller, wireless and storage solutions that power the entire communications infrastructure, including enterprise, metro, home and storage networking. As used in this release, the term “Marvell” refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, visit Marvell.com.
Marvell and the M logo are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Marvell In The News
- Top Chips Exec Weili Dai Sees 'Hopeful' Future For Women In Tech (Q&A)
- 64bit Quad-Core SoC Targets Enterprise Printers, 3D Markets
- Marvell Unleashes Most Advanced Printer System-On-Chip, to Allow More Powerful 3D Printing