Swisscom Deploys Industry's First 802.11ac Android IPTV Set-top Box Powered by Marvell's Award Winning ARMADA 1500 Plus Platform
Leading European telecom provider selects Marvell's ARMADA 1500 Plus platform to deliver Swisscom TV 2.0-based IPTV set-top box to its over 1 million subscribers
Santa Clara, California
(April 8, 2014) –
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) today announced its partnership with Swisscom, a leading European telecom provider, to introduce the industry’s first 802.11ac Android IPTV set-top box powered by Marvell’s ARMADA® 1500 Plus (88DE3108) system-on-chip (SoC) platform. A full HD media processor designed for a vast array of Smart video products, the ARMADA 1500 Plus Platform – featuring Marvell’s Avastar® 88W8897 Wi-Fi processor – will power Swisscom’s TV 2.0 set-top box, delivering high performance, enhanced connectivity and immersive HD video to the operator’s more than 1 million subscribers to date. The Swisscom TV 2.0 set-top box is currently available to subscribers.
“I am very proud of our close collaboration with Google and the world’s leading telecom providers in bringing high quality, immersive entertainment experiences to the ‘Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle’ of global consumers. I would like to congratulate Swisscom for the successful deployment of the industry’s first 802.11ac Android IPTV set-top box to its more than 1 million subscribers,” said Weili Dai, President and Co-Founder of Marvell. “As consumers increasingly demand seamless access to high quality content, it is critical that service providers offer the end-to-end solutions for ubiquitous video delivery of uncompromised image quality at an affordable cost. At Marvell, it is our passion and commitment to deliver breakthrough technologies that enable our customers and partners to better the lives of all consumers.”
“In selecting a technology partner, Marvell’s proven track record in powering the ‘Smart Lifestyle’ underscores Swisscom’s mission to deliver on the key attributes for Swisscom TV what you want, when you want and wherever you want, it’s always on,” said Volker Dietzel, Head of TV Services at Swisscom. “We are extremely pleased to introduce our new IPTV set-top box based on the ARMADA 1500 Plus platform that will deliver on the promise of Swisscom TV with powerful features like unlimited CatchUp TV, blazing channel change speeds and seamless connectivity.”
The ARMADA 1500 Plus platform is designed to enable a broad range of innovative and low cost form factors such as small set-top-boxes, over-the-top media players, hybrid set-top boxes and Smart TVs. For this implementation with Swisscom, Marvell now supports one of today’s most prominent wireless protocols, 802.11ac, delivering high speed connectivity for HD video and multimedia content delivery.
Key features of the ARMADA 1500 Plus platform:
- Operator grade conditional access system to secure premium 1080p content served over Swisscom’s DSL/Fiber network (Verimatrix’s VCAS for IPTV and VCAS for InternetTV) for LiveTV, VoD and CatchUp TV use cases
- Premier viewing experience with industry-leading FCC (Fast Channel Change) algorithms
- Network PVR with Local Timeshift buffer
- Playready DRM and Smooth Streaming for certain VOD services
- Marvell’s advanced Avastar 88W8897 combining 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi solution with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) supporting HOGP for an advanced remote controller for the STB
Key features of the Swisscom TV 2.0 Android IPTV Set-top box:
- Seven day replay on over 250 channels
- Record any number of programmes in parallel in the cloud
- Home TV screen featuring full Teleclub on-demand range, with a personalized recommendation engine
- App store presenting more than 50 popular Apps
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) is a global leader in providing complete silicon solutions and Kinoma® software enabling the “Smart Life and Smart Lifestyle.” From mobile communications to storage, cloud infrastructure, digital entertainment and in-home content delivery, Marvell’s diverse product portfolio aligns complete platform designs with industry-leading performance, security, reliability and efficiency. At the core of the world’s most powerful consumer, network and enterprise systems, Marvell empowers partners and their customers to always stand at the forefront of innovation, performance and mass appeal. By providing people around the world with mobility and ease of access to services adding value to their social, private and work lives, Marvell is committed to enhancing the human experience.
As used in this release, the term “Marvell” refers to Marvell Technology Group Ltd. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.Marvell.com.
Swisscom is Switzerland’s leading telecom provider with its headquarters in Ittigen, close to the capital city, Berne. With over 20,000 employees it generated turnover of CHF 11.43 billion in 2013. Swisscom is one of the most sustainable companies in Switzerland and Europe.
Marvell, ARMADA, Avastar, Kinoma and the M logo are registered trademarks of Marvell and/or its affiliates. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
Marvell In The News
- Data Storage Issues Grow For Cars
- Aricent Announces Availability Of Its Industry-Leading Intelligent Switching Solution To Support The Latest Marvell® Prestera® DX...
- Design News Announces 2017 Golden Mousetrap Awards Finalists, Lifetime Achievement Award Winner WiFi Pioneer Cees Links