The Marvell® Prestera® 98PX1012 is a purpose-built port extender device leveraging the industry standard IEEE 802.1BR. Termed PIPE, these passive intelligent port extenders offer a modular approach and an optimized solution to enabling a diversity of port densities and speeds, the 98PX1012 allows customers to easily adapt to various port speeds through multiple configurations.
While existing solutions are designed with a generic switch device that is scaled down to a port extender device, the 98DX1012 is optimized in terms of power, cost and simplification to meet the port-extender requirements.
Marvell’s Prestera PX family also introduces innovative ways to reduce Top-of-Rack (ToR) port configurations by replacing a switch with PIPE devices. This in turn saves power and lowers the cost of maintaining and upgrading systems.
- Ability to economically scale-down to a few ports
- Support of multiple Ethernet speeds 10G/40G and 25G/50G/100G
- Port extender optimized device leveraging the industry standard IEEE 802.1BR
- 64B min packet wire speed
- 16 MACs (4x25, 12x10)
- Flexible parser and programmable header modification
- Flow control propagation (QCN, PFC)
- Shared Data path and buffer
- Cut Through Fast to Slow/ Store & Forward slow to fast
- Remote management using an integrated processor
- Link Aggregation Groups
- Interfaces: PCIe, SMI, XSMI, SPI, I2C
- Supports 2 power rails (1.8v,1v)
- Package 17x17 mm FCBGA
- Aggregation of storage servers, compute micro servers
- 10GbE ports extensions of a central high-density 100GbE-port switches
- Fanout of 10GbE and 40GbE port speeds of 100GbE ports
- Ethernet Port speed conversion 10GbE, 40GbE to 25GbE, 50GbE, 100GbE
- Passive Top-of-rack for 10G serves and 100G uplinks: 48x10G + 4x100G
From Marvell's Blog
- Port Extender Technology Changes Network Switch Landscape
- The New Scaling Paradigm: Ethernet Port Extenders
- Ethernet Darwinism: The survival of the fittest (or the fastest)
Additional product information is available under NDA on the Marvell Extranet. If your company has an NDA with Marvell, please register here. If you do not have an NDA, please contact your Marvell sales representative.