The Avastar 88W8797 is the first high-performance multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) Wi-Fi + Bluetooth + FM combination radio with advanced power management designed specifically for next-generation handheld products. An 802.11n 2x2 dual-band system-on-chip (SoC) offering Wi-Fi data rates up to 300Mbps, the 88W8797 can double the performance available on today's mobile products, enabling new, high-bandwidth media applications regardless of the device's spatial orientation. By allowing flexibility in the placement of two antennas on the device, robust performance is ensured even if one antenna is partially or completely obstructed.
- The combination of 802.11n mobile MIMO with Bluetooth and FM—on a small board space—optimizes radio co-existence for simultaneous operation while reducing design costs.
- Offers Wi-Fi data rates up to 300Mbps, double the performance available on today's mobile products.
- Tx beamforming technology dramatically improves link robustness delivering a far more expansive network range.
- Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology enables new features and uses without impacting battery life.
- New high-speed, low-power I/O interfaces alleviate any potential performance bottlenecks that arise when pairing a MIMO radio with an application processor.
Marvell Mobile MIMO Technology
Marvell’s mobile MIMO leverages multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) technology to deliver Wi-Fi connectivity with extended range for smaller form factor devices. The inclusion of a second antenna that can be routed away from where the tablet is likely to be placed or handled allows Marvell’s mobile MIMO to offer increased link robustness and a considerably diminished likelihood of signal obstruction. It also gives designers an unprecedented level of integration, for higher performance and increased battery life, ideal for tablets.
Ideal for tablets and smartphones, the Avastar 88W8797 also allows communication with a new breed of mobile devices, including body sensors for personal health monitoring and remote controls for home automation. It is also well-suited to other products that require MIMO Wi-Fi performance such as home media servers, Blu-ray players, set-top-boxes, and digital televisions.
Avastar 88W8797 Wireless SoC Makes EDN's 2011 Hot 100 Products List
The 2011 EDN Hot 100 highlights the electronics industry’s most significant products of the year based on innovation, significance, usefulness and popularity.
Beamforming enhances wireless signal reception at the client. Marvell’s unique implementation increases throughput performance of up to 20x over other technologies, without added cost. Learn More
Marvell and its partners provide innovative and customized SoC products. Contact your local sales office for information on solutions tailored to your business needs.