Marvell’s Avastar 88W8897 SoC is the industry’s first 802.11ac chip to combine near field communications (NFC), Bluetooth 4.2, mobile MIMO, transmit beam forming, and an integrated location engine with built-in support for Wi-Fi Certified Miracast. This latest addition to the Avastar family of highly integrated, low-power wireless solutions is designed to vastly improve the mobile computing and high-definition multimedia experience on ultra books, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
The Avastar 88W8897 increases throughput with 802.11ac technology while simultaneously leveraging NFC to enable simple tap-and-go wireless capabilities. With the highest level of integration possible, the 88W8897 enables a footprint reduction of 40-to-50 percent, and a RBOM cost reduction of 75 percent over previous wireless solutions.
- IEEE 802.11ac (draft) compliant, 2x2 MIMO spatial stream multiplexing with data rates up to MCS9 (866.7 Mbps)
- Bluetooth 4.2 + High Speed (HS), supports Low Energy (LE)
- Near field communication (NFC) connectivity technology, per NFC Forum specification, for short-range, contactless communication
The 802.11ac standard significantly increases bandwidth available over the Wi-Fi link, extending wireless capabilities to a variety of new use cases such as reliable high-definition (HD) video streaming, tunneled direct link setup (TDLS) and high-speed wireless backup and sync for mobile devices. Leveraging 802.11ac, Marvell’s 88W8897 chip delivers up to 867 Mbps of throughput and is ideal for home digital applications, enabling a robust multi-stream HD video experience. Additionally, 802.11ac allows for high speed data sync, which results in lower power consumption and longer battery life.
- WLAN, Bluetooth, and NFC enabled super phones and tablets
- Personal computing systems including notebooks and ultra books
- Wireless home audio and video entertainment systems including DTVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray/ DVD players, media servers, and gaming platforms
- Wireless gateways, routers, and access points
- Marvell Demonstrates Technology Leadership in Internet of Things and Wireless and Showcases Tier 1 Design Wins at Mobile World Congress 2015
- Marvell’s Advanced Avastar Connectivity Solution Supports New Social Wi-Fi and Indoor Location Technologies
- Marvell Introduces World’s First 802.11ac Mobile MIMO Combo Wireless Solution
Additional product information is available under NDA on the Marvell Extranet. If your company has an NDA with Marvell, please register here. If you do not have an NDA, please contact your Marvell sales representative.