Marvell’s Avastar 88W8897 SoC is the industry’s first 802.11ac chip to combine near field communications (NFC), Bluetooth 4.0, mobile MIMO, transmit beam forming, and an integrated location engine with built-in support for Wi-Fi Certified Miracast. This latest addition to the Avastar family of highly integrated, low-power wireless solutions is designed to vastly improve the mobile computing and high-definition multimedia experience on ultra books, tablets, gaming consoles, and smart TVs.
The Avastar 88W8897 increases throughput with 802.11ac technology while simultaneously leveraging NFC to enable simple tap-and-go wireless capabilities. With the highest level of integration possible, the 88W8897 enables a footprint reduction of 40-to-50 percent, and a RBOM cost reduction of 75 percent over previous wireless solutions.
- IEEE 802.11ac (draft) compliant, 2x2 MIMO spatial stream multiplexing with data rates up to MCS9 (866.7 Mbps)
- Bluetooth 4.0 + High Speed (HS), supports Low Energy (LE)
- Near field communication (NFC) connectivity technology, per NFC Forum specification, for short-range, contactless communication
The 802.11ac standard significantly increases bandwidth available over the Wi-Fi link, extending wireless capabilities to a variety of new use cases such as reliable high-definition (HD) video streaming, tunneled direct link setup (TDLS) and high-speed wireless backup and sync for mobile devices. Leveraging 802.11ac, Marvell’s 88W8897 chip delivers up to 867 Mbps of throughput and is ideal for home digital applications, enabling a robust multi-stream HD video experience. Additionally, 802.11ac allows for high speed data sync, which results in lower power consumption and longer battery life.
- WLAN, Bluetooth, and NFC enabled super phones and tablets
- Personal computing systems including notebooks and ultra books
- Wireless home audio and video entertainment systems including DTVs, set-top boxes, Blu-ray/ DVD players, media servers, and gaming platforms
- Wireless gateways, routers, and access points
Marvell and its partners provide innovative and customized SoC products. Contact your local sales office for information on solutions tailored to your business needs.